Sunday 24 May 2020

My wood carving journey

As life in Switzerland relaxes a little I returned to Morgenland to resume my wood carving journey. 

I have the little workshop to myself most days anyway. Erwin, my mentor, just pops in to see how I'm doing from time to time but most of the time he is busy with his latest masterpiece. I have kept in touch with him throughout Lockdown with homemade cards and messages (he is 65, has no email and lives alone) and I was touched to see my cards displayed on a little table inside the front door.

I have just finished my latest creation - my Maus Haus. This actually took me a long time and there were many moments when I had periods of doubt and almost abandoned the project completely. All the small details were mind blowing and tricky to execute. 

But now it is painted and has taken pride of place on my balcony I am very pleased with it.

Erwin Schatzmann is the ultimate eco warrior (although he would balk at the label) His forever evolving studio/home uses reclaimed materials and wooden offcuts, people often drop by with unwanted furniture and building materials and he is a constant visitor to the Brocki for bits and bobs. take a look at this wonderful place on an earlier post or on his website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment