Tuesday 2 April 2019

Fame at last!

I've been featured in the latest edition of our local magazine 'Dorfblitz' A lovely reporter came round the house to interview me just before Christmas and I was very proud of myself, conducting the interview mostly in German, just lapsing into English now and again.

I have worked as a reporter in the UK and it was interesting to see the differences in style between the two forms of interview and editorial. The reporter wanted to know my life story right back to when I began work and what I did year by year, which took some remembering!

I initially trained in Hotel and Catering Management because I wanted to travel the world. Of course, it was/is a high pressure environment, with extraordinarily long hours (usually unpaid) and the wages are tragically low. So as soon as I saw an opportunity to leap into the field of Journalism I took it, without ever looking back. I do miss working on newspapers and would love to work on a Swiss journal as soon as I master the language. I'm thinking cartoon work may be the way forward while my German is still at the basic stages...watch this space...

I should add I have had a very nice response to the Dorfblitz article from friends, the most wonderful being: 'WE are happy to have you here!' Life here in Switzerland has had its challenges for sure, but we have been welcomed with open arms in every way and I really, truly do not feel homesick for the UK. This is my home now and I am very happy to be here.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, that's fantastic, Sarah!
    Keep in touch with this journalist, they may be helpful in your future job for a Swiss newspaper :-)
    Have you blogged about your experience in Israel? Reason I'm asking is because my brother lives in Ma'agan Michael :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Sarah! Keep up the good work! German, as you know, is not an easy language. But we get there eventually :-)

    ReplyDelete